This week I didn’t have time to go to the mainland to buy groceries (I live on Lummi Island), so I relied on what was in my pantry and what I could find at the Lummi Island Farmers Market and the Islander grocery store. What a delight to walk into the Islander and see fresh Boxx Berry Farm blueberries in boxes on the checkout counter!
Some didn’t make it home, of course, and others promptly disappeared upon arrival, but I had enough left to bake into something. I had a little blue cornmeal from Fairhaven Organic Flour Mill on hand in my pantry, so decided to make some “blue in blue” muffins.
Blue cornmeal cooks just like yellow cornmeal, so you don’t have to adapt your favorite cornbread or corn muffin recipes to use it. Just substitute it in equal quantities for yellow cornmeal. The color is beautiful and makes a nice variation from the yellow cornbread you see everywhere.
Right now blueberries are ripe and available fresh. When they’re not, Boxx Berry Farm also sells frozen berries after the season is over. You can get them at their farm store (see address below under “Food Sources”).
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready In:
- 1 cup blue cornmeal (Fairhaven Organic Flour Mill, Bellingham)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (Fairhaven Organic Flour Mill, Bellingham)
- 2 tsp baking powder (see Exceptions)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (see Exceptions)
- 1/2 tsp salt (see Exceptions)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (Grace Harbor Farms, Custer)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp honey (Guilmette’s Busy Bees, Bellingham)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted (Breckinridge Farm, Everson)
- 1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (Boxx Berry Farm, Ferndale)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Stir dry ingredients together.
Combine liquid ingredients separately.
Mix liquid and dry ingredients and stir until just mixed, about 25-30 strokes.
Gently fold in blueberries.
Fill buttered muffin tins 2/3 full.
Bake for 20 minutes or until done.
I serve these muffins with Sauteed Red Cabbage for a lunch or light supper. They also go well with soups and salads.
Boxx Berry Farm Store, 6211 Northwest Rd., Ferndale (Mon-Sat 9a-6p, Sun 10a-4p
Islander Grocery, near ferry dock, Lummi Island
Community Food Co-operative, Westerly and Cordata, Bellingham
Terra Organica, Flora and Cornwall, Bellingham