Caramelized Onion Topping Recipe
Caramelized onions add a sweetness to savory dishes that is hard to beat. If you want to make people hungry, start sauteing some onions. Works every time!
This caramelized onion topping goes especially well on smashed potatoes, steaks, scrambled eggs, pasta, or mixed in with other vegetables. It takes the flavor up a notch. Learn to make this recipe well and I promise you’ll use it often.
- 1 Tbsp. butter (homemade using Fresh Breeze heavy cream, Lynden)
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (BelleWood Acres, Lynden)
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (home garden, Lummi Island)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced (home garden, Lummi Island)
- Melt butter into saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. As onions turn golden and slightly crisp, deglaze the pan with apple cider vinegar. Cook another 8 - 10 minutes until onions are caramelized and moisture has mostly cooked away.
This topping is wonderful on Garlic Rosemary Smashed Potatoes.
BelleWood Acres, 6140 Guide Meridian, Lynden
Home garden, Lummi Island
Islander Grocery, across from the ferry dock, Lummi Island