Simplicity itself in terms of preparation, this colorful slaw salad has spectacular flavors. It makes a unique summer picnic or potluck dish. The overall effect on the palate is light and refreshing. It’s a wonderful way to try a couple of ingredients you may not have used before–daikon radishes and fennel bulb. The carrots make this look attractive, even to kids.
- 4 inch piece of daikon radish, scrubbed and grated (home garden, Lummi Island)
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into “matchsticks” (Terra Verde Farm, Everson)
- 2 small or 1 medium carrot, grated (Hopewell Farm, Everson)
- 1 tsp hazelnut oil (Holmquist Hazelnut Orchards, Lynden)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (BelleWood Acres, Lynden)
- 1 tsp hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (Holmquist Hazelnut Orchards, Lynden)
- Sea salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients well and chill for 15-20 minutes to allow flavors to combine.
Daikon Fennel Slaw makes a bright, fresh side dish for spicy, barbecued or fish entrees, such as Sauteed Sockeye Salmon Fillets.
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad at Chestnut, Bellingham
Community Food Co-op, Cordata and Westerly, Bellingham
Home garden, Lummi Island