Okay, I confess. I love the old onion dip made with sour cream and dried onion soup mix. When I started eating as a locavore, I just had to come up with an alternative that tasted as good.
Here’s the recipe I concocted. I actually like it even better than the old version. Let me know what you think.
Note: Locavore Mayonnaise is used as an ingredient in this recipe.
- 2 Tbsp butter (Breckinridge Farm, Everson)
- 1 medium onion, diced (Nettles Farm, Lummi Island)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (Rabbit Fields Farm, Everson)
- 1-1/2 cups sour cream (Breckinridge Farm, Everson)
- ¾ cup Locavore Mayonnaise (see link above to recipe on this website)
- ¼ cup milk (Twin Brooks Creamery, Lynden)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (BelleWood Acres, Lynden)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (The Growing Garden, Bellingham)
- Salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sour cream, Locavore Mayonnaise, milk and vinegar. Mix in the onion mixture and chives. Season to taste with salt and refrigerate.
Serve with Sweet Potato Chips for a nice appetizer, perfect for holidays.
Bellewood Acres, 231 Ten Mile Rd., Lynden
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad and Chestnut, Bellingham
Community Food Co-op, 1220 N. Forest St. or 315 Westerly Road, Bellingham
Nettles Farm, Lummi Island
Terra Organica, 1530 Cornwall Ave., Bellingham