Of all the recipes I’ve created so far with local ingredients, this pizza is my all-time favorite. It’s so fast to prepare you won’t believe it, especially if you prepare the pesto a day or two in advance. You don’t even have to let the crust dough rise. Most importantly, the flavor was extraordinary! I’m not exaggerating.
You could vary the toppings, of course, according to what’s in season at the time. The ingredients I used were available in late July. I made this in a rectangular baking dish instead of a pizza pan because it’s essentially deep dish style, but you can use whatever shape you like. You could also easily double the recipe to serve a hungry family or for a party.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready In:
- 1 batch Quick Pizza Crust
- 1/2 cup Locavore Basil Pesto
- 1-2 bunching onions, sliced thinly (I used Purple Purplette variety from Hillcrest Farm, Lummi Island)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thinly(Nettles Farm, Lummi Island)
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets, separated into very small pieces (home garden)
- (Optional) 1/4 lb ground beef (Hillcrest Farm, Lummi Island)
- Few leaves of chard, chopped coarsely (Hillcrest Farm, Lummi Island)
- 3 oz. cheese, grated Jalapeno Gouda (Pleasant Valley Dairy, Ferndale)
- 1-2 small fresh tomatoes (Lynden Fresh Farms, Lynden)
- Fresh basil, sliced into thin strips (home garden, Lummi Island)
- Fresh summer savory, coarsely chopped (Full Bloom Farm, Lummi Island)
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Spread pesto sauce evenly over pizza crust, leaving 1/2 inch of edges uncovered.
Spread sliced onions, sliced zucchini, and broccoli florets over pizza.
Brown ground beef in small skillet over medium heat. Spread over pizza. (If you prefer vegetarian pizza, skip this step.)
Drain oil from skillet, and put chard in same pan for about a minute or two until just barely wilted. Spread on pizza.
Evenly spread grated cheese over all. Top with thin slices of tomato. Sprinkle with the basil and summer savory.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with a fresh green salad, and perhaps a hearty local wine.
Artisan Wine Gallery, 2072 Granger Way, Lummi Island, Tastings Sat. 2pm-6pm
Lummi Island Farmers Market, next to The Islander grocery store near ferry dock, Sat. 10am-2pm
Home garden, Lummi Island
The Islander, Nugent Rd. near ferry dock, Lummi Island
Community Food Co-operative, Westerly and Cordata, Bellingham
Terra Organica, Flora and Cornwall, Bellingham