- 1 Tbsp hazelnut oil (Holmquist Hazelnut Orchards, Lynden)
- 1 small red onion, chopped (Broadleaf Farm, Everson)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (Rabbit Fields Farm, Everson)
- ½ pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered (Nooksack 9, Everson)
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (BelleWood Acres, Lynden)
- 1 bunch purslane, with lower woody stems removed (Alm Hill Gardens, Everson)
- Salt, to taste
- Put the oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot add the chopped onions and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the minced garlic and continue to saute for another minute or two until fragrance is released.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened into a sauce.
- Add the cider vinegar and purslane and cook a few minutes longer until purslane is wilted.
- Salt to taste.
For a complete menu, serve Purslane Tomato Sauce over some fresh Bellingham Pasta noodles with a summer salad on the side.
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad at Chestnut, Bellingham
Community Food Co-op, Cordata and Westerly, Bellingham