For example, here’s a seasonal local snack recipe you can use when you want sweet flavor without refined sugar’s “roller coaster” mood effect. It also combines complex carbohydrates with protein. Raspberries are particularly high in antioxidants (50% more than strawberries) and B vitamins. This recipe works great as a lovely summer appetizer, too!
Note: Here’s a link to a recipe for easy homemade paneer cheese.
- 1 cup paneer cheese (homemade with milk from Twin Brook Creamery, Lynden)
- ⅓ cup raspberry juice* (friend's garden, Lummi Island)
- 3 Tbsp lemon balm, minced (home garden, Lummi Island)
- 2 tsp honey (Red Barn Lavender, Ferndale)
- 16 circles or squares of bread, about an inch-and-a-half across (homemade, with flour from Fairhaven Organic Flour Mills, Burlington)
- 1 whole raspberry (friend's garden, Lummi Island)
- 1 whole lemon balm leaf (home garden, Lummi Island)
- * To make the raspberry juice, press a few ripe raspberries in a bowl with your fingers or the back of a spoon and pour off the resulting juice.
- Mix the paneer, raspberry juice, minced lemon balm, and honey in a bowl.
- Place a tablespoon of the mixture on each bread round or square. Top with either a lemon balm leaf, a whole raspberry, or both (best).
Prepare about 3-4 “bites” per person for a serving.
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad at Chestnut, Bellingham
Friend’s garden and home garden, Lummi Island
The Islander, across from the ferry dock, Lummi Island