I’ve been creating locavore recipes on this web site for nearly two-and-a-half years now. This is the 138th recipe I’ve posted. I think I can honestly say this is one of the top three best in terms of flavor. Since I first prepared this salad, we’ve been having it at least once, and sometimes twice, a week. It’s taste is addictive! Rabbit Fields Farm’s incredible smoked cayenne peppers are the key ingredient, along with Second Wind Farm’s high quality grassfed beef (both from Everson). I’m running low on the smoked peppers, and Roslyn is probably getting tired of me stopping by her Farmers Market booth to ask her yet again if she’s going to have more smoked peppers this fall. (She is planning to smoke more than ever! Yay!)
- 2 Tbsp butter (homemade with cream from Twin Brook Creamery, Lynden)
- 1 lb. ground grassfed beef (Second Wind Farm, Everson)
- ½ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- ½ large (or 1 medium) shallot, chopped (Terra Verde Farm, Everson)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (Rabbit Fields Farm, Everson)
- 1 smoked cayenne papper, minced (Rabbit Fields Farm, Everson)
- 1 tsp fresh oregano (home garden, Lummi Island)
- ¾ cup tomato sauce (home canned with tomatoes from Boxx Berry Farm, Ferndale)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (BelleWood Acres, Lynden)
- 1 tsp honey (Red Barn Lavender, Ferndale)
- Garnish: grated cheese, and dollop of yogurt (Grace Harbor Farms, Custer)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium high heat. When the bubbling stops, add the ground beef and ½ tsp salt. Saute until well browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the shallots and garlic, and continue to saute for another minutes or two. Add the smoked pepper and oregano, and saute another couple of minutes until the smoky fragrance is released.
- Add the tomato sauce, apple cider vinegar and honey. Mix well and heat through.
- Remove from heat and adjust the salt to taste.
Smoky Taco Salad is suitable as either a side dish or a main course.
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad at Chestnut, Bellingham
Boxx Berry Farm, 6211 Northwest Road, Ferndale
Community Food Co-op, Cordata and Westerly, Bellingham
Home garden, Lummi Island
Second Wind Farm (Paul Chudek), Everson