Here’s a simple, yet unique, tomato soup that I guarantee you will enjoy! It has a rich smokey flavor with just a hint of peppery heat.
One quick note: “Sun dried” tomatoes and tomatoes dried in a home dehydrator are virtually indistinguisable in flavor, as far as I can tell. Sun drying is risky in our climate unless you happen to have a year with enough perfect days in a row. A home dehydrator, or even your oven on its lowest setting, will dry tomatoes just as well. The tomato flavor is beautifully intensified regardless of how the water is evaporated.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (Full Bloom Farm, Lummi Island)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (Half Acre Farm, Ferndale)
- 2 tbsp butter (Breckinridge Farm, Everson)
- 2 heaping cups skinless canned tomatoes, chopped (home canned, tomatoes from Boxx Berry Farm, Ferndale)
- ⅔ cup tomato juices (reserved from the jar of tomatoes)
- ⅔ cup sun dried tomatoes (home dehydrated, from Full Bloom Farm, Lummi Island)
- ¼ tsp dried thyme (home dried, from Half Acre Farm u-pick, Ferndale)
- 4 cups stock (I used Brown Beef Stock, made with soup bones from Second Wind Farm, Everson--see above for link to recipe; use vegetable stock for vegetarian option)
- Adobo Sauce (approx 2-4 tsp, or to taste) (see above for link to recipe)
- ½ cup gouda cheese, finely grated (Pleasant Valley Dairy, Ferndale)
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- In a large pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, melt the butter and saute the onion until it is translucent (not browned). Add the minced garlic and saute for one minute more.
- Drain the canned tomatoes, reserving the liquid, and add the tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, and thyme to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes until heated through. Add the broth, tomato juice, and adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor (or use a stick blender) and puree until smooth. Return the mixture to the pan, and add salt. Add the grated cheese, small amounts at a time so it doesn't clump together, and stir until melted and well mixed. Adjust seasoning. Keep the soup on low heat until served.
Serve this soup with some good bread, butter, and Jalapeño-Honey Plum Jam.
Artisan Wine Gallery, 2072 Granger Way, Lummi Island
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad and Chestnut, Bellingham
Boxx Berry Farm, 6211 Northwest Road, Ferndale
Community Food Cooperative, 1220 N. Forest St. or 315 Westerly Road, Bellingham
Full Bloom Farm, Centerview and Tuttle, Lummi Island
Half Acre Farm U-pick at Boxx Berry Farm, 6211 Northwest Road, Ferndale
Terra Organica, 1530 Cornwall Ave., Bellingham