This Whole Wheat Cheese Crackers recipe is a special favorite for kids. It’s a local (and healthier) version of the little fish-shaped cheese crackers kids love.
I originally got the idea for the recipe from the Appel Farms website. Appel Farms, near Ferndale, is a dairy farm and one of the local artisanal cheesemakers. They have a farm store (see address in Resources below) where you can buy their cheeses and other food and gift items.
I started with Appel’s cracker recipe and adapted it for using whole wheat flour. The result was light, crunchy and delicious. My grandson wanted to eat them all.
You can cut the crackers into squares or diamonds with a sharp knife or pizza cutter, or you can use mini cookie cutters. I had a tiny turtle shaped cookie cutter which worked beautifully.
- ½ cup milk (Twin Brook Creamery, Lynden)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (BelleWood Acres, Lynden)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (Nooksack 9, Everson)
- ½ tsp salt (see Exceptions)
- ½ tsp baking powder (see Exceptions)
- ¼ cup cold butter, cut into ¼ inch cubes (Breckinridge Farm, Everson)
- 8 oz. cheese, grated (I used Jalapeno Gouda) (Appel Farms, Ferndale)
- Curdle the milk slightly by adding the apple cider vinegar. Let sit about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl. Add the cold butter and mix with a fork or pastry cutter until dough is in pea-sized chunks. Add the grated cheese a little at a time.
- Gradually add the milk mixture a tablespoon at a time, mixing gently until the ingredients are moistened and the dough forms a ball. The dough texture should resemble pie crust dough.
- Note: the dough can be mixed in a food processor, if you prefer. Add ingredients in the same order as above.
- Chill dough for 20 minutes to an hour (or as long as overnight) in an airtight container or plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough to ⅛ inch thick on a floured surface. (You may want to split the dough in half for easier handling.) Cut into small shapes. Place on a baking sheet, and bake for about 15 minutes until lightly browned around the
Number of cookies this recipe makes will depend on the size you cut the cookies.
Appel Farms Cheese Shoppe, 6605 Northwest Road, Ferndale
Bellingham Farmers Market, Railroad & Chestnut, Bellingham
Community Food Co-operative, Westerly and Cordata, Bellingham
Terra Organica, Flora and Cornwall, Bellingham